Pagina's

Monday, March 10, 2014

Back in reality after 4 months

I’ve been back home for 24 days now. While I was away I wasn’t looking forward to coming home at all. People were asking me why. Well at that time I mostly answered “because there’s nothing there”. With nothing I just meant that I didn’t had a job to look forward to or some other serious stuff, like a house or a boyfriend. But well off course I did had things to look forward to. I have great friends, who support me no matter what kind of weird person I sometimes (well maybe even half the time) can be. Also I have a loving family and a house to call home.

After being home I just realized I was mostly scared. Scared of going back into reality. When people said to me you’ll have a reality check when you get home I just laughed. But really, being home after nearly 4 months of absolute freedom it's a reality check indeed.

First of all there was the obvious problem, which I knew I would have even before I started traveling. I was totally broke as soon as I got home. I did safe up money for returning home, but while traveling I figured I rather had a fun time with it in Asia than safe it for being at home. Well, I don’t do regrets but I must say it was not really smart. Lucky as I was my friends hooked me up with a job. When they asked when I could start I just said well as soon as possible. BAM, reality was hitting me in the face again. Working? Really? I’ve quitted my last job in a clothing store in the beginning of October. So working was something I wasn’t really used to anymore. During traveling I also said, I don’t care what kind of job I get, I just need to get some money asap when I’m home. Well, I was truly grateful for the job. But I started as a call agent. Which is not a bad thing, don’t get me wrong. But yeah, another reality check. I’ve got a bachelor degree in communication. And I actually worked as a callagent when I was 16 and didn’t even had a single degree. So it made me think, what am I doing? Is this living the dream? I told myself I was just working because I needed the money. But after a few days I actually found out I had nice co-workers and I enjoyed my time there. It’s not all about living your dreams, sometimes you have to make a few stops on your way.

I believe in karma and serendipity. Good things will come to you when you least expect it. And you will also get what you give, which can be a good or a bad thing. Trust me my life has some ups but some pretty deep downs. But all of the sudden my life is pretty up. While I was enjoying my new career path and made some peace with it this new thing came on my path. A job opportunity at the same company, but this time actually a job in communication. And wait a second, isn’t that what I studied? Indeed it is.

While traveling I said I would take any job. But with any job I meant all the jobs in the world as long as it wasn’t a serious job. Well I did took the job. I’ll see where it takes me. I may sound a bit dreamy, and well.. I am. But everything happens for a reason and for now I’m just embracing this opportunity and see how it goes.

The life lesson in this story? Not everything always goes as planned. Sometimes you got to take risks and sometimes you just need to let go of your plans and go with the flow. Setting a goal is fine and great. I still have my goals/dreams. But the road to reaching them might be a bit different than you imagined. I'm not saying you should give up on dreams for every nice other thing that bumps into your way. But sometimes changing your path could be a good thing. Well at least I hope so. I'm not sure where my path will bring me, but as long I'm happy I think i'm doing a pretty good job following my dreams.



Eliza

Ps. I'm not even sure myself why I wrote this in English. I just started writing my thoughts and for some reason they came up in English.
Pps. I still owe you guys a blog about the last part of my trip. I actually wrote half of it. It's still coming ;-)



1 comment: